Legal Definition of comparative fault
: a doctrine in torts in which the fault attributable to each party is compared and any award to the plaintiff is reduced in proportion to the plaintiff's share of the fault : comparative negligence sense b at negligence — compare contributory negligence at negligence, strict liability at liability sense 2b
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game