Legal Definition of common-law copyright
: a copyright in common law protecting unpublished works
Note: Works created after January 1, 1978, are protected by statutory rather than common-law copyright while unpublished.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game