bot·tom·ry | \ ˈbä-təm-rē\
Legal Definition of bottomry
: a contract under which the owner of a ship pledges the ship as collateral for a loan to finance a journey money lent on bottomry for…equipping the vessel — Louisiana Civil Code — compare respondentia
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?