attorney ad litemnoun
Legal Definition of attorney ad litem
: an attorney appointed by a court to act as an advocate for a minor, a proposed ward, or unknown heirs in a particular legal action (such as a divorce)
Note: An attorney ad litem represents a child's best interests and wishes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game