articles of incorporation
Legal Definition of articles of incorporation
: a document by which a corporation is formed that sets forth basic information (as the corporation's name, purpose, directors, and stock) usually as required by statute — see also certificate of incorporation — compare bylaws, charter
Note: In most states a corporation is created upon the filing of the articles of incorporation with the secretary of state.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game