an·ti·chre·sis | \ ˌan-ti-ˈkrē-sis, ˌan-ˌtī-, ˌan-tē- \
Legal Definition of antichresis
in the civil law of Louisiana : a written pledge and transfer from a debtor to a creditor of possession of immovable property giving the creditor the right to the fruits (as rents) of the property which are to be deducted from the interest or principal of the debt — compare pawn
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game