alienation of affections
Legal Definition of alienation of affections
: the diversion of a person's affection from someone (as a spouse) who has certain rights or claims to such affection usually to a third person who is held to be the instigator or cause of the diversion
— called also alienation of affection— compare criminal conversation
Note: In most jurisdictions alienation of affections is no longer recognized.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game