abnormally dangerous activitynoun
ab·nor·mal·ly dan·ger·ous ac·tiv·i·ty
Legal Definition of abnormally dangerous activity
: an activity especially that is not common in or appropriate to an area, that creates a high degree of risk of harm to someone or something despite the exercise of due care, and whose value to the community in the area is outweighed by the risk of harm — compare ultrahazardous activity
Note: Abnormally dangerous activities are subject to strict liability. Abnormally dangerous activity and ultrahazardous activity are sometimes used interchangeably.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game