West Virginia State Board of Education v. BarnetteU.S. Case Law
Legal Definition of West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
319 U.S. 624 (1943), struck down an earlier ruling (Minersville School District v. Gobitis (1940)) that children who are members of the religious group known as Jehovah's Witnesses must join in saluting the American flag in public schools. The Court ruled that First Amendment guarantees regarding freedom of religion protected the right to remain silent if a person's religious beliefs recommend it, and that the government cannot compel a person to do otherwise.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?