Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act(RESPA)Law
12 U.S.C. § 2601 et seq. | (1974)
Legal Definition of Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act
protected consumers buying real estate by requiring disclosure of all closing costs. The Act required lenders to give mortgage applicants a standard form estimating the settlement costs, and it prohibited kickbacks for referrals among settlement service providers (as title insurers). The Act has been amended regularly since enactment, most recently in 2013.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game