Nuclear Regulatory Commission(NRC)Agency
Legal Definition of Nuclear Regulatory Commission
independent government agency charged with overseeing civilian use of nuclear energy. The NRC licenses persons and companies to build and operate nuclear reactors and other facilities and to own and use nuclear materials. It issues standards, rules, and regulations for the maintenance of such licenses and regularly inspects nuclear facilities to ensure compliance with public health and safety, environmental quality, national security, and antitrust laws. The NRC also investigates nuclear incidents and reports of violations, conducts public hearings on nuclear safety and other issues, and reviews power plant operational data to detect trends concerning safety issues.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game