Internal Revenue Service(IRS)Agency
Legal Definition of Internal Revenue Service
Treasury Department agency charged with administering and enforcing federal tax laws, except those relating to alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and explosives. The IRS issues rulings and regulations to supplement the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code; determines, assesses, and collects internal revenue taxes; determines pension plan qualifications and exempt organization status; and provides certain taxpayer services such as publishing educational literature and adjudicating complaints. It maintains seven major regional offices in addition to its headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?