Department of the TreasuryAgency
Legal Definition of Department of the Treasury
federal executive division responsible for fiscal policy. It advises the president on fiscal matters, serves as fiscal agent for the government, performs certain law enforcement activities, and manufactures currency. Among its constituent agencies are the Bureau of the Fiscal Service, which borrows money for the government and manages the government's collections and deposits; the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which issues bank notes and government security documents; the Internal Revenue Service (q.v.); the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), which regulates national banks; the Office of Thrift Supervision (q.v.); and the U.S. Mint, which issues coinage and serves as the depository for the nation's gold bullion.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game