Board of Education, Island Trees School District v. PicoU.S. Case Law
Legal Definition of Board of Education, Island Trees School District v. Pico
457 U.S. 853 (1982), restricted the ability of school boards to censor school libraries. The Court, in reversing a New York state decision that allowed a local school board to remove books it found offensive, ruled that while a board may exercise a certain amount of discretion in creating a library to reflect community values, it cannot arbitrarily impose its own will on the effort and trample citizens' First Amendment rights. Books that can be shown to be vulgar or irrelevant may be removed, but books that simply contain unpopular ideas may not be.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game