Legal Definition of Batson challenge
— called also Batson objection— compare third-party standing
Note: Batson challenges were originally applied to racial discrimination in jury selection but are now also applied when gender or sometimes ethnic background is an issue. The party making the objection usually must establish by evidence a prima facie case of discrimination. The other party must then prove a neutral reason for the strike.
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game