Legal Definition of Article III court
: a court created in accordance with Article III of the U.S. Constitution whose judges have positions for life and cannot have their salaries reduced — compare legislative court
Note: The purpose of the salary and position guarantees enjoyed by the judges of Article III courts is to ensure that their decisions are not influenced by fear of losing their positions or salaries.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game