Search more than 10,000 legal words and phrases for clear definitions written in plain language. An easy-to-understand guide to the language of law from the dictionary experts at Merriam-Webster.
Browse the Legal Dictionary
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?