Frequently Asked Questions About Words
- What is the third common "-gry" word?
- Doesn't the word "posh" come from "port out, starboard home"?
- Where do new words come from? How do you figure out their histories?
- What are the origins of the English Language?
- How many words are there in English?
- I have coined a word. How do I get credit for it?
- How do you decide whether a compound should be written as one word, separate words, or hyphenated words?
- What is the correct way to write Internet- and computer-related terms (e.g., online, Web site, e-mail)?
Frequently Asked Questions About Dictionaries
- How does a word get into a Merriam-Webster dictionary?
- I would like to see a particular word added to or deleted from the dictionary. What can I do?
- If a word is not in the dictionary, does that mean it isn't a real word?
- Why are some words missing from the dictionary?
- Where can I get more information about listening to the audio pronunciations?
- Your pronunciations of "February" and "nuclear" are wrong! How can you say they are correct?
- Is Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged available online?
- Are all "Webster's" dictionaries published by Merriam-Webster?
- I have an old dictionary. Will you buy it?