Definition of zinc yellow
1 : a greenish yellow pigment that is usually made by reaction of zinc oxide, potassium dichromate, and sulfuric acid and then has the approximate composition 4ZnO.K2O.4CrO3.3H2O of a complex salt and that is used chiefly in corrosion-inhibiting priming coats and in printing inks
— called also zinc chrome
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game