Definition of zea
1 capitalized : a genus of large grasses having broad ribbon-shaped leaves and monoecious flowers of which the staminate forms an ample terminal panicle and the pistillate is in a sessile axillary spike enveloped by numerous bracts — see indian corn
2 plural -s : the fresh styles and stigmas of Indian corn formerly used as a diuretic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game