Definition of zanthoxylum
1a capitalized : a genus of widely distributed shrubs or trees (family Rutaceae) having odd-pinnate leaves, small greenish flowers with 2 to 5 pistils, and 2-valved fleshy capsules
b plural -s : any plant of the genus Zanthoxylum
2 or less commonly xanthoxylum plural -s : the dried bark of prickly ash or hercules'-club formerly used as a diaphoretic and stimulant
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game