you/one would think (that)idiom
Definition of you/one would think (that)
—used to say that one believes that something is true or should be true, that a particular situation exists or should exist, that something will happen or should happen, etc. You would think (that) the school would have dictionaries in the classrooms.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?