you live and (you) learnidiom
Definition of you live and (you) learn
—used to say that one has learned something from an experience that is surprising and usually unpleasant I thought I could trust him, but I couldn't. Oh well, you live and (you) learn.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game