you know what?idiom
Definition of you know what?
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 —used to emphasize the statement that comes after it You know what? I never trusted her.She lied to me again, but you know what? I really just don't care anymore.
2 —used to get someone's attention Hey, you know what? I'm hungry.
Definition of you-know-what (Entry 2 of 2)
1 —used in speech to refer to something that is not named but is known to both the hearer and speaker I've hidden the you-know-what in the closet.
2 —used in place of a rude or offensive word in order to express anger or annoyance He's a complete you-know-what.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game