variants: or less commonly yellow nut grass
Definition of yellow nutsedge
: a widely distributed weedy sedge (Cyperus esculentus) with small, edible, rapidly produced, nutlike tubers Yellow nutsedge is a perennial grass-like weed with triangular leaves and a yellow-green color.— Richard Burton, Secrets to a Great Lawn, 2001 In one year, a single yellow nutsedge (nutgrass) can produce 1,900 new plants.— Dan Vierria, The Sacramento (California) Bee, 28 Jan. 2006
— called also earth almond, ground almond, rush nut, tigernut
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game