Definition of yellow leaf
1 : any of several diseases of plants characterized by chlorosis of the foliage (as cherry leaf spot)
2 : the latter years of life : old age my way of life is fall'n into the sere, the yellow leaf— Shakespeare fifty-three … the yellow leaf is upon me— Christopher Isherwood
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game