write (someone) out ofphrasal verb
wrote (someone) out of; written (someone) out of; writing (someone) out of; writes (someone) out of
Definition of write (someone) out of
1 : to change a document (such as a will) so that (someone) is not included She wrote her son out of her will.
2 : to remove (a character) from a story by having the character die, disappear, etc. They wrote her character out of the show at the end of the first season.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?