writ of inquiry
Definition of writ of inquiry
: a writ issued commanding a sheriff to determine by trial the amount of damages to be awarded to a plaintiff when an interlocutory judgment has been rendered against a defaulting defendant but damages are not readily calculable
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game