writ of inquiry
Definition of writ of inquiry
: a writ issued commanding a sheriff to determine by trial the amount of damages to be awarded to a plaintiff when an interlocutory judgment has been rendered against a defaulting defendant but damages are not readily calculable
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game