wouldn't you know it?idiom
Definition of wouldn't you know it?
—used to say that something annoying that has happened is the kind of thing that often happens I was running late and—wouldn't you know?—I rushed off without my purse."He's late again." "Wouldn't you know it?!"
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game