work one's wayidiom
Definition of work one's way
1 : to move oneself into or out of a particular position slowly or with difficulty I worked my way to the center of the crowd. They started working their way cautiously down the side of the mountain. —sometimes used figuratively He had worked his way into her heart.She is slowly working her way to the top of the company.
2 : to have a job that helps pay for expenses while going to college/school She is working her way through law school.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game