variants: or less commonly woolly rhino
Definition of woolly rhinoceros
: an extinct 2-horned rhinoceros (Coelondonta antiquitatis) inhabiting the arctic regions of Europe and Asia during the Pleistocene, having a dense coat of woolly hair, and being found frozen in the ice of Siberia with the flesh and hair well preserved
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game