Definition of woolly adelgid
: either of two aphids (genus Adelges) with a white woolly coating that have been accidentally introduced into North America:
a : one (A. piceae) native to Europe that is a serious pest of fir trees
b : one (A. tsugae) native to Asia that is a serious pest of hemlocks
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?