Definition of wood pewee
: a small tyrant flycatcher (Contopus virens) of eastern North America that is dark olive-gray on the back, grayish olive on the breast and sides, and yellowish white on the belly and that has a very plaintive note resembling the syllables pee-a-wee also : a related bird (C. sordidulus) that inhabits western North America
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game