Definition of wood pewee
: a small tyrant flycatcher (Contopus virens) of eastern North America that is dark olive-gray on the back, grayish olive on the breast and sides, and yellowish white on the belly and that has a very plaintive note resembling the syllables pee-a-wee also : a related bird (C. sordidulus) that inhabits western North America
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game