wood applenoun (1)
Definition of wood apple
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a small tree (Limoina acidissima or Feronia elephantum) of the family Rutaceae of southeastern Asia that yields a hard heavy durable yellowish wood and is often cultivated for its acid hard-rinded fruit which is used as a food and together with the leaves in folk medicine
2 : the fruit of the wood apple
Definition of wood-apple (Entry 2 of 2)
: a gum obtained from the wood apple and used like gum arabic
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game