Definition of wolf herring
: a large greatly elongated voracious clupeoid fish (Chirocentrus dorab or possibly related species) that has long powerful fangs, is widely distributed along tropical Indo-Pacific shores, and is in some areas esteemed as food though fierce and dangerous to handle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game