Definition of wolf herring
: a large greatly elongated voracious clupeoid fish (Chirocentrus dorab or possibly related species) that has long powerful fangs, is widely distributed along tropical Indo-Pacific shores, and is in some areas esteemed as food though fierce and dangerous to handle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game