be puffed (up) with prideidiom (1)
Definition of be puffed (up) with pride
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to be showing one's pride by the way one behaves or holds one's body He was puffed up with pride over his victory.
puff (up) with prideidiom (2)
Definition of puff (up) with pride (Entry 2 of 2)
: to stand or sit up straighter because one is very proud When his daughter's name was announced as the winner, he puffed up with pride.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game