Definition of winter solstice
1 : the point in the sky occupied by the sun on or about December 22d when winter begins in the northern hemisphere : the December solstice
2 : the time at which the sun reaches the December solstice for dwellers in the northern hemisphere or the June solstice for those in the southern hemisphere
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game