Definition of winter hazel
: any of several Asiatic deciduous shrubs or small trees (genus Corylopsis) that are closely related to the witch hazels and are sometimes cultivated for their yellow flowers which appear in nodding racemes subtended by large bracts before the unfolding of the leaves
— called also flowering hazel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?