Definition of wind gauge
1 : an instrument used (as in target firing) to determine and sometimes record the force and direction of the wind : anemometer
2 : a graduated scale on the rear sight of a small-arms rifle by which the sight can be adjusted to correct the deviation of the bullet due to a wind component perpendicular to the line of fire
3 : a device on a pipe organ for measuring and indicating the amount of wind pressure
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game