variants: or less commonly willow sparrow
Definition of willow warbler
: any of several Old World warblers of the genus Phylloscopus especially : a small songbird (P. trochilus) common in Europe that is delicate greenish above and white below — compare kennicott's willow warbler
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?