Definition of willow sawfly
: any of numerous sawflies that infest the willow: such as
a : a large American sawfly (Cimbex americana) whose larva is pale greenish with a black dorsal stripe
b : a steel-blue sawfly (Dolerus arvensis) or a related smaller brownish fly (D. bicolor)
c : a black sawfly (Nematus ventralis) whose yellow-spotted blackish larva infests also the wild cherry
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?