Definition of willow borer
1 : any of several small bronzy longicorn beetles of the genus Agrilus that bore in the sapwood of the willow tree and often kill it: such as
a : a beetle (A. politus)
b : a beetle (A. anxius) that infests also poplars and birches
2 : poplar borer
3 : a European weevil (Cryptorhynchus lapathi) introduced and destructive to willows in the eastern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game