Definition of wild cotton
1 : cotton grass
2a : a shrubby herb (Gossypium thurberi) of southern Arizona and Mexico
b : any of various cultivated cottons that have escaped and established themselves in subtropical or tropical areas
3 : any of several plants of the genera Abutilon and Hibiscus (especially H. moscheutos)
4 Australia : any of various milkweeds especially : either of two milkweeds (Asclepias fruticosa and A. physocarpa) that have been introduced into Australia from South Africa and are poisonous to cattle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game