Definition of whitlow grass
: any of several inconspicuous herbs formerly thought to cure whitlow: such as
a : an annual weed (Draba verna) of Europe and North America with a rosette of basal leaves and tiny flowers succeeded by oblong pods
— called also shadflower
b : a small Old World saxifrage (Saxifraga tridactylites)
c : whitlowwort
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game