Definition of white-winged junco
: a large dark-eyed junco that is similar to the slate-colored junco but has two white bars on each wing and is often considered a subspecies (Junco hyemalis aikeni)
Note: The typical range of the white-winged junco encompasses southeastern Montana, western South Dakota, northeastern Wyoming, and northwestern Nebraska.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game