Definition of white-throated dipper
: dipper sense 2a(2) Most visitors stagger from Dovedale's car park to the famous stepping stones, the more observant ones spotting the white-throated dipper, looking for prey below the bubbling waters of the Dove. — Sue Price and Guy Corbett-Marshall, Guardian (London, England), 20 Mar. 2010
Keep scrolling for more
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game