variants: or white-faced whistling duck or less commonly white-faced tree duck
Definition of white-faced whistling-duck
: a whistling-duck (Dendrocygna viduata) of the West Indies, Central and South America, and Africa that is mostly reddish brown with the throat and front part of the head white and the neck and back part of the head black The aptly named white-faced whistling-duck (Dendocygna viduata) is often seen in large flocks …— Philip Briggs, East African Wildlife, 2008
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game