whistle-stopnoun, often attributive
Definition of whistle-stop
(Entry 1 of 2)
1a : a small station at which trains stop only on signal : flag stop
b : a small community
2 : a brief personal appearance especially by a political candidate usually on the rear platform of a train during the course of a tour
whistle-stopped; whistle-stopping; whistle-stops
Definition of whistle-stop (Entry 2 of 2)
: to make a tour especially in a political campaign with many brief personal appearances in small communities
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?