variants: or whispering dome
Definition of whispering gallery
: a gallery or dome so constructed that sounds produced in the area are concentrated in another by reflection from the walls so that feeble sounds are audible at an extraordinary distance
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game