Definition of whip snake
: any of various slender snakes: such as
a : a long bright-green harmless tree snake (Philodryas viridissimus) of South America
— called also emerald whip snake
b : coachwhip snake
c : a snake of a boigid genus (Dryophis) of Asia having a long leaflike head
d : any of several small Australian snakes (genera Demansia and Denisonia) that are venomous but not deadly
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?